Saturday 16 June 2018

POLLOK PARKRUN #486 - 16/06/18

Saturday's training session this week was in Pollok Park on the south side of Glasgow taking on the Pollok 5k parkrun. To encourage people to train with purpose and attend Wednesday & Saturday sessions, every so often Coach Mark Saez volunteers to meet the juniors there for a warm up before the 0930 start or kick off as they say in some other sport that has a huge event going on right know.

The run at a Parkrun allows both coach & athlete to assess their fitness and improvement which comes from applying yourself, working hard and attending Wednesday & Saturday sessions regularly.

However today's session we only had 2 juniors, Lucy Saez (under 17) and Lewis Moir (under 13) and in support we had Lewis's Mum Lynsey and Grandpa Stuart and myself all taking part. Not really a junior session! Lewis's Gran Maud and Mark were our cheer leaders today.  Mark is in rest mode as he is running the Mens 10k in Glasgow tomorrow hoping for a sub 38 10k. Go for it Mark!

All 5 of us got ourselves to the start and after the all announcements we were off in the pouring rain. I started mid field after bumping into an old friend and too busy chatting so missed my start near the front as this parkrun has always had a crammed start even for today's 372 runners.

Not long after the first turn I heard wheezing in the background with a guy eventually passing with his rat or small dog with 3 inch legs going like the clappers and then a guy barging by me with a double buggy on a  narrow part of the route, the cheek!  Once we got up the hill the course opens up and everyone can spread out a bit.  At this point I passed Lucy who was running well and then I could see Stuart in the distance and slowly closing in on him. Towards the end of the first lap I passed Stuart and the wheezing dog had given up.  The poor thing was knackered and its owner was trying to get it to move faster but the dog was spent. Thank God quite humiliating had the dog beaten me!

Onto the second lap and I was committed to grinding it out and clearly no chance of catching Lewis on this occasion or maybe any occasion now. This lap was uneventful with an attempted fast finish from the last right turn I passed the runner in front who wasn't paying attention then I could hear him stepping up to get by me and he beat me by 1 second to the line. Results are:-

Pollok Park 5k Parkrun #486 - 16/06/18
34th, Lewis Moir, 21:22, 23rd parkrun, Course Pb by 19 seconds
54th, Richard Lawton, 22:41, 63rd parkrun
61st, Stuart Waugh, 22:58, 52nd parkrun
123rd, Lynsey Moir, 25:26, 27th parkrun
161st, Lucy Saez, 27:07, 9th parkrun
372 runners in the field 

Link to results: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/pollok/results/latestresults/

No comments:

Post a Comment