Sunday 25 February 2018

NATIONAL XC CHAMPIONSHIPS (FALKIRK)

Two Calderglen Harrier juniors ran in this year's National Cross Country Championships.  Here is the low on the day and race from Lewis Moir.
 
On Saturday 24th February I participated in the Lindsays National Cross Country event in Callendar Park Falkirk.  The weather conditions were good as it was cold but sunny.  I was taking part in the U13 boys 3k race and although I was the only Harrier in my event it was good to have the company of Skye Mulholland who was running in the U15 girls event.
 
The start line was really crowded with 181 boys participating.  The race began and after a short distance we were straight into the first hill where I got spiked in the leg but I was determined to keep running and get myself out of the crowd and into my own space.  The race consisted of 2 smaller laps where everyone started to settle down into their own pace and then 1 larger lap.  The ground was mainly hard with some soft muddy patches and there was three challenging hills.
 
I was pleased with how I ran on the day and I finished in 97th place out of 181 boys in a time of 13mins 34secs.  It was a challenging race with a great atmosphere and I would encourage all other Harriers to participate in the future.

By Lewis Moir

As mentioned Skye Mulholland was racing in the U15 girls race running a distance of 4.1k.  Skye is carrying an enduring injury on both knees just now so her enforced period of rest was not ideal race preparation. However after a family holiday she turned up on the start line to test herself amongst the rest of the Scottish girls in her age group. She completed her first race and first for the club on a hard course with a bit of luck having good weather.  Skye enjoyed the race and was 110th place out 133 girls in a time of 19mins 45secs.

Well done Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment